Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Patriotism out the Wazoo

If there is one word that sums up the last 5 days for me it's: Patriotism. On Saturday, I met up with Ted and the Fioraliso clan at Mt. Rushmore. It was everything I'd hoped for and more. Epic views of the beautiful monument, guided walking tour, museum with informational video, and an evening lighting ceremony that featured a talk about Lewis and Clark. In short: my crack.



The fact that I was able to share all of this with friends made it all the more special. Ted upped the anty on the hilarity/patriotism scale by purchasing a CD of American tunes from the Rushmore gift shop and leading us in a sing-a-long on the way to and from Crazy Horse Memorial. "You're a Grand Old Flag" has been stuck in my head for days. haha If you haven't heard of Crazy Horse, it's the work of a guy named Korczak Ziółkowski, who was commissioned to carve this tribute to Native Americans out of a mountain in the Black Hills. It's massive, with Mt Rushmore fitting in the head alone. The only thing is that they've been working on this for over 60 years (since the 40s!) and they only really have the head completed. Korczak has long since died, but his family of 10 kids and grandkids has kept the project going. It will definitely be spectacular when finished, and the museum currently at the site was very interesting. What Crazy Horse looks like now:


What it's supposed to look like when I go back with my grandkids:

The fun continued on Sunday when we headed over to Deadwood, an old west town made famous by Wild Bill Hickok and other colorful gun-slinging characters. We took a bus tour owned by... you'll never guess... Kevin Costner. I kid you not. And it was an excellent tour at that! We even ate at his restaurant afterwards, where they had some of his movie costumes on display. Did not see that one coming. Apparently, Costner's a big fan of the old west. As are Ted and I, seen here in front of Bill's grave site.



It was here that we parted ways, the Fioralisos heading out to Little Big Horn and Yosemite, and I to Devil's Tower, Wyoming. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment