Sunday, May 22, 2011

Is There Life After AmeriCorps?

This week has been uneventful—in a good way. Our team has mostly just been finishing up work on the community pool so that it can open this coming weekend for Memorial Day. Other than that, things have been pretty chill. In fact, I had nothing on my entire agenda for all of Saturday, so I slept for 15 hours. It was fantastic. Then I found one of the only working bicycles on campus and took that puppy for a spin around Vinton. When I say "working" bicycle I mean that it was not completely falling apart, but the breaks were shoddy and the seat was not very secure. However, it was in tact enough to get me to the new bakery that just opened for a pecan bun, and then over to Leon's Malt Shop, an old school ice cream parlor/hamburger joint. My bike jaunt reminded me of my middle school days taking the Schwinn out with Brian Mazzarella and riding down to the comic book store in New Egypt, NJ. Ah, the innocence of youth. lol

And luckily, Saturday wasn't the end of the world after all, which is good since I spent the whole afternoon Googling different options for what I could do after NCCC. Seems like if the apocalypse had occurred, that would have made my efforts a real waste of time. Here are some front runner ideas for my "Life After Americorps" as they call it here, in no particular order:

1. Drive across the U.S. visiting national landmarks like the Grand Canyon, Carslbad Caverns, and Roswell
2. Spend 1 month working with Global Volunteer Network in Peru or India
3. Embark on an overseas backpacking trip to Italy, Egypt and India
4. Get a 1-year AmeriCorps VISTA gig somewhere (warm) in the U.S.
5. Spend another year as an NCCC team leader, but on a different campus
6. Move back to Boston and get a real job like an adult

It's funny, I am usually always thinking one step ahead to whatever the next thing is, but for the past 5 months I've just been enjoying life and trying not to obsess over the future. Then when I got back to campus, we were asked to fill out resume worksheets and forms about our career goals. I felt like this guy:


So I guess I have to start thinking about these things or end up panicking when the next 5 months is up. What do you think of the options above or combining a couple of them?

3 comments:

  1. Put off getting a real job as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During our last summer before graduating from college, my best friend and I took a two-month road trip across the country. We visited lots of national parks, and stayed with friends (and friends-of-friends) wherever they could be found. We were nearly derailed when my car was totaled in LA (I'd advise skipping LA), but all in all it was a great thing to do. I'd do it again if I had the opportunity, and recommend it to anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely thinking a trip might be the way to go for the first few weeks after I finish up here. Grand Canyon is totally on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete