Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Comedy of Errors

Yesterday I took my group on a tour of Cedar Rapids. This shall henceforth be known as C. Rap because it sounds cooler. We went to Best Buy, Target & Starbucks. It was the first time one of my members had been to a SuperTarget so we made sure to take a commemorative photo in front of the store before entering. Inside, I officially went over our food budget by $17 purchasing necessities like lunch meat and not-so-necessities like Funfetti brownie mix. My bad. On the way to C. Rap, we stopped off in the town of Brandon for a photo op in front of Iowa's biggest Frying Pan. I love how this photo shows a mix of facial expressions ranging from sheer joy to "why did you pull me out of the van for a photo in front of this dumb frying pan?"


For dinner I made a vegetarian risotto for the group and facilitated a riveting game of Apples to Apples, during which time I needed to bow out early so D.J. could drive me to the hospital. Why, you ask? For the last 2 days I've had some irritation in my right eye like I had an eyelash or something stuck in there. Finally I couldn't deal with it anymore. At first I felt silly going to the hospital, but when the receptionist said something to the effect of "holy cow, that doesn't look good," I thought perhaps my visit was justified. Next, a nurse proceeded to numb my eyeball with drops, grab the lid, flip that sucker upside down, shoot colored saline into my eyehole, and shine a black light on it. Turns out I have a corneal abrasion in the shape of the big dipper. They gave me some antibiotics and a gauze round. Apparently they don't issue pirate patches anymore.

Today we had some training and I took the team on a tour of Vinton. On my way to the van, I slipped down a muddy hill in front of my peeps and had to run back to my room to change. On the way, a van of NCCC'ers rode by laughing and pointing at my soggy bottom. Warranted. At dinner our meatballs took an outrageously long time to cook. In fact, a few people eventually gave up waiting and left to get take-out. While washing the dishes I spilled scalding hot water all over my jeans. So yes, this has been an eventful 2 days. LOL Sunday will involve a lot of paperwork and planning. But no matter how chaotic things seem, I still feel like I'm learning a ton and being super-productive. I love this job, and can't help laugh off these comically ridiculous failures. It's good stuff, people.

5 comments:

  1. Love this, Darcy. I can hear your voice giving a play by play of the missteps. Thanks for sharing. Really, thanks for sharing. I'm living vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simmer down out there, Boo! I'd like to have you home in ONE non-muddy, non-scarred up piece! JEEEEZLOUIZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Darcy! Sounds like you're having an adventure. Have fun and hope the cornea is whole once more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ann, thanks for the nice note! And the cornea is good as new now. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're enjoying it Mary Alice! You can live vicariously through my scratched cornea any day. haha I'm surprised there are actually people reading my blog. (Besides my former roomie who posted below you.) :-)

    ReplyDelete