Sunday, February 6, 2011

Kids don't hate me!

This week, we spent 3 days working at Tilford Elementary School in Vinton, doing maintenance projects and tutoring kids. I was terrified going into this because I don't have a lot of experience working with children and I was afraid they would hate me, or I would say something to scar them for life. However, I quickly learned that kindergartners are awesome, love playing Boggle Jr and just want your attention and high fives. Then I got the chance to read books with 3rd graders and a kid named Marcus read me "The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth." He did the different voices and everything! We also had snack time and Marcus was introduced to his first-ever Sunny Delight. We read the ingredients together and he was pretty intrigued that it contained grapefruit. Additionally I had some major bonding time with my friend DJ as we shampooed hundreds of auditorium chairs. Definitely a great first project:


Here's an article I co-wrote for the local paper:

"AmeriCorps Class 17 team leaders arrive in Vinton; help at Tilford"

3 comments:

  1. You made me want to have grandbabies. Will they call me Mama Don?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, don't rush me. haha Maybe babies in another 10 years. They can definitely call you DonDon, The Don, or Mama Don. The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete