Thursday, February 17, 2011

Never Snuggle a Platypus

Here's a twist for you. I spent my first week in Iowa pining for my friends and family back on the east coast. I will admit there was some hiding in my room for a few days before I decided to man-up and spend my free time in the lounge with the other TL's. I quickly realized that these people are hilarious, friendly, down-to-earth, honest and amazingly decent people. We bonded over bowling, road trips to Cedar Rapids, evenings at the Voo, shared mutual hardship during trainings, and some down and dirty get-to-know-you conversations. I truly heart these people. So what happened this week? They ripped us apart, separated us into different buildings around campus, sent us to separate training sessions, separate lunches, and separate vans. My point? Not only am I still missing my friends from back home, but now I'm ALSO missing my friends here! Examples of their awesomess, you ask? A few weeks ago fellow team leader D.J. advised me "never to snuggle a platypus" because apparently their hind feet contain poisonouss venom. Hilarious and important advise.


Equally important: the amazing dance moves I have learned from fellow TL, Kyle who spent his last year in Uganda and loves high-fives. And who have I selected as "emergency contact" on my work phone? I thought it only right to give this privledge to my "AmeriBFF" Kellie who enjoys popping-corn, National Parks and the television program Jersey Shore. I'm relieved to have made some great friends here, as it will be nice to be able to call my friends from home to ground me in things going on in the real world, or to give one of my AmeriFriends a call for some much-needed empathy when I'm out in the field with my team and needing a pep-talk.

In other news, if you're wondering how the PowerPoint presentation went earlier this week, lemme tell ya, it was hilarious. The slideshow itself went well I think, but there were some serious technical difficulties, and it 'twas a bit chaotic. But when is anything I do not chaotic?

There was also a snafu today when I took two members to the grocery store to buy food for the next four days and almost went over budget without even getting everything I needed for the the major meals. Cooking for 10 people is definitely a learning experience. Luckily the temporary corps members I was assigned for this week are cutting me some slack, adjusting to my sense of humor, and seem to be having more fun and loosening up a couple days in. I'm interested to see my team dynamic once I'm assigned to my final group for the rest of the year on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Re: platypuses, it's totally true. But only the males, and only during mating season. (Thank you NOVA internship project for that gem of wisdom.) So even if you do snuggle a platypus, your odds are pretty decent that you'll be okay.

    I love reading your blog entries--keep it up! You are clearly rocking the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Thanks for reading, Hannah! And good to know the platypus specifics. Never know when this sort of info could come in handy. I mean, what if the platypus looks really snuggly? I might not be able to resist.

    ReplyDelete