Sunday, July 10, 2011

America the Beautiful

Back in the 1800's you needed a covered wagon to get across the U.S. It took months to travel out west, and you might lose a family member or have a baby on the way. There were oxen and supplies involved. It was a whole ordeal! That being said it blows my mind that I just drove 1532 miles up the east coast and out to Iowa in a week. Only 27 actual driving hours. For me, it was a leisurely trip, stopping to hang out with family and friends, enjoy the local cuisine, and see the sites. Gotta love America! Here's some highlights:

Cheesesteaks in Philly with my dad, step-mom and bro. Plus a walk past the liberty bell while looking for a public restroom.



An afternoon at Six Flags Great Adventure with my mom and Chris.


And a 4th of July Styx and Yes concert in Camden, NJ. There were more 50+ year-old hippies at this show than I have ever seen in one place in my life. lol


Lunch in Boston with my former NOVA co-workers and dinner with my closest friends at a favorite Harvard Square restaurant, Border Cafe.



Home-cooked steaks with my friend Kate's parents, mama and papa Speech, in Auburn NY. Then wine at a swanky bar in Geneva, NY with Ted Fioraliso and Brian Jessie. Getting weekday crunk with a news reporter and firefighter makes for interesting conversation. I forgot to take photos in NY, but luckily Ted hooked us up with this cell phone shot, post vino consumption.


Friday was a driving day, all the way from NY to Chicago with a brief stop in Cleveland to check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I mostly took photos outside of this "no photos" museum, after being yelled at by a security guard when I tried to snag a shot of the Michael Jackson Thriller jacket.


When I got to Chicago, I met up with teammates Greg and Christina. We hit up the ferris wheel at Navy Pier, checked out the bean sculpture at Millennium Park, and visited the Chicago History museum.




Then it was a sunset ride back to Iowa.


It was a memorable trip and made me feel very thankful for the friends and family I have across the country. Thanks to everybody who took the time out to see me, and or offer up food and a place to stay. It was a great vacation and I miss you all already!!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! Sounds like the modern day Oregon trail... sans diptheria.

    ReplyDelete