Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Made it to Vinton

Despite the giant snowstorm that just hit the east coast and delayed some flights (including my layover in Chicago) I made it to Iowa. Great success! The last 2 days have been a whirlwind of policy training, acclimating to the temperature (4 degrees at the moment), and meeting new people.

It's also odd to revert back to the college-dorm lifestyle. Today, I was confused about where a mysterious lingering headache came from. Then went back to my room, sat down on my bottom bunk and hit my head on the metal bar connecting my bed to the one above... for the fifth time. Headache mystery solved. haha When members arrive, the other team leaders and I will be moving into different rooms, so maybe I'll choose the top bunk next time. On "spikes" - the projects outside of Iowa that require teams to live off-campus, I might end up in completely different housing situations from a campsite to an apartment or bunk house. Here's a photo of the room I'm currently sharing with 2 other women, Susanna and Natalie. Right now It's kind of a mess because we're still unpacking, but it won't be for long. We learned in team leader training today about the strict cleanliness rules on campus and weekly room checks to make sure your beds are made, trash removed etc. Hardcore, even for a semi-neat freak like me.


The Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School where we share dorms and classrooms for NCCC member training:

The exterior of my current dorm building, Palmer:


Best part about my room? It's directly above a foosball table. This photo features a hilarious guy named Phil from Oklahoma (who wrote, illustrated and published a children's book about superheros) getting schooled at foosball by a chef named Antonio:


And for anyone who is looking for my new address, thar she blows:
Darcy Forlenza - Class 17
Americorps NCCC
1004 G Avenue
Vinton, IA 52349

1 comment: